Tenant – Information Guide

Subscribe with your requirments

Please fill in your email and our system will contact you about your buyer requirments, you can unsubscribe or change your preferences at any time.


Very important form when moving in! It has to be filled out by the tenant and agent so we both agree to the condition of the property. Please return to us within 7 days of moving in.

Remember, if you have paid for e.g. $1,200 bond then this report is worth $1,200. It is up to you to return it!!


It is your responsibility to have electricity, gas and telephone connected in your name and to have the account finalized when you vacate.


Only the people originally included on your application and approved by the owner are allowed to reside at the property permanently. If a new tenant wishes to replace an existing tenant, our office must be informed in order to approve the new application and complete the Residential Tenancy Agreement.


Our office is open Monday-Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm and Saturday 9:00am – 3pm.  Should you wish to see your property manager, please contact our office to make an appointment.

We accept rent payments only by using IPAY System unless agreed in writing.


If you are having difficulties in paying your rent, always contact to discuss your problems. If you become 10 days in arrears, we will issue you with a Letter of Demand. Should rent still not be received, we will in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act issue you with a Termination Notice on the 15th day of your arrears, which will require you to vacate the premises.


For information on costs and obligations for breaking your lease please contact your property manager.


We ask that you report any matters requiring repairs or requests immediately to avoid the risk of injury to visitors or damage to the rented property. Any maintenance problem arranged by the tenant outside our normal business hours will be at the tenants cost unless it is proven to be an extreme emergency (please see maintenance policy for more information). You are required to complete a repair request form should you need maintenance attended to at your property. The only type of maintenance that will be dealt with over the phone is “Emergency” and should be followed with a written request within 24hrs. The Maintenance Request Form may by posted, faxed, emailed or dropped into office. All sections must be completed.


If applicable in your Tenancy Agreement, you will be responsible for payment of water usage at the property. This needs to be paid separate from your normal rent payment through IPAY and should be paid by money order or bank cheque.


Please be aware that the Landlord’s property insurance DOES NOT cover your personal belongings and it is in your interest to obtain contents insurance in case of damage or theft. Ray White Insurances offer a policy suitable for tenants. Speak to your property manager for further information.


Must be placed in the proper  bins. Rubbish placed in boxes or bags will not be collected by the Council and this then can cause a health problem. If a unit/townhouse complex, the bins will have a designated area.


DO NOT use Blu-Tack or sticky tape substances to hang or place pictures on the wall as removal of these items usually causes damage to the walls. If no picture hooks are in the premises please contact your property manager in writing (post, email or fax) to gain approval from the Landlord.


Unless a pet is specifically approved on your lease, pets will not be allowed without prior approval. Please note that in unit complexes Body Corporate By-Laws do not allow pets in any case.

GARDENS if applicable

You are responsible for the lawns and gardens unless specified beforehand. This means watering, weeding, trimming and mowing. Seek advice from your property manager before removing any plants or pruning large bushes/trees.


We carry out routine inspections on all our properties every 3-6 months and will advise you in writing prior. This is always a good opportunity to point out any maintenance problems or other concerns you may have. Repair request forms are available from your property manager or can be downloaded from under Tenancy Info. If you are not present, we will access the property with our spare keys.


If during your tenancy the property goes up for sale, don’t worry!! You cannot be thrown out at a moments notice. If you are under a fixed term lease you are there for the term of that lease; if you are on a periodic tenancy (month to month), the Landlord has to give you 30 days written notice to vacate the property.


We usually have a spare set of keys in the office. Should you have lost your keys or have locked yourself out you may collect our set during office hours. We will be asking for a holding deposit of $30 until the keys are returned. After hours, our recommended locksmith can be contacted at a set fee.


If your supply of hot water is not hot or does not seem to last as long it should, your hot water system may need topping up. Locate the filler valve on the side of the hot water system and lift the floppy lever until the water flows from the overflow. Repeat this process every few months. Otherwise, check….is the power switched on; has the power box tripped the switch or blown a fuse; or has your shower routine changed or increased (tank capacity and/or tariff rates will affect this). Remember in winter, the efficiency of the tank is less than in summer and the water will get cold quicker. Note: please follow the above procedure before requesting maintenance. If this does not rectify the problem please complete a Repair Request Form. Remember a leaking hot water tap will cause poor supply of hot water and high electricity accounts.


Water bubbling out of the ground could be a serious problem and could lead to further complications. Phone our office immediately.


The most common problem in properties is leaking from wet areas i.e. bathrooms, laundries, kitchens into adjoining rooms. A regular check for water leaks is advisable. If the carpet/floor is wet, sponge and dry area thoroughly and check again after use of the wet area. Advise our office to arrange for a tradesperson.


Usually this is a minor problem. Regular mopping and turning off the tap between uses is adequate until the tradesperson arrives. Please complete a Repair Request Form and send to our office to arrange a tradesperson.

WASHING MACHINE if applicable

Check –

That the power is connected, that the water taps are turned on, the load of clothes are not off balance or too high, that the lid is connecting with on/off switch when closing, hoses are securely attached and if there is leaking, check hose for splits.

When all else fails, phone us during office hours (if late Sunday night and out of clean clothes, locate nearest Laundromat and take riveting book with you. Phone agent Monday morning.

CLOTHES DRYER if applicable


Clean filter before every use of the dryer, that the power is on, that it is not overloaded, that the air temperature I hot when running.

This appliance is not essential, please complete Repair Request Form and send to our office to report failure.


Do not attempt to fix yourself. Do not use switches. Contact our office as soon as possible.


Check power or fuse box. Ensure the power is on and the switch has not tripped. If problem not remedied contact your property manager.


If your neighbours’ have also lost power contact your electrical company. Otherwise check if you have a Safety Switch, which may have tripped. If so, reset the switch. If it trips again unplug all appliances from power points. Reset Safety Switch and plug in appliances one at a time until faulty appliance is located. If you have a fuse box check this for a blown fuse. Note: if this does not rectify the problem please notify our office.


Check if power is connected or check power box for tripped switch or blown fuse. Contact us for arrange for professional help.

POOL PROBLEMS if applicable

–              Even if the pool is serviced for you, it is still part of your responsibility to keep an eye/ear out for any problems. (servicing does not include supply of chemicals)

–              Water level is a priority and must be kept at a level to allow water to flow through the skimmer boxes at all times. Failure to do this could result in enormous expenditure to you.

–              No metal objects are to be allowed in the pool as it could cause corrosion marks.

–              No animal in the pool as this creates a huge chemical imbalance.

–              Ensure regular testing of water to keep correct PH level, this helps prevent mould/fungus forming in the pool.

–              Vacuum at least once a week to keep pool clear of debris.

Regular checks of pump to ensure motor working correctly and efficiently (making funny noises could be a forerunner to a problem). Leaking or pooling water at the pump could mean a cracked casing and will need attention.

If you do not know how to manage a pool, please advise your property manager and we will provide you with on site instructions.


Emergency maintenance must be addressed as quickly as possible. Please refer to the 17a Residential Tenancies Information Statement (the booklet in your welcome pack) page 16. All emergencies must be phoned through to the office as soon as possible and then formalized in writing thereafter.